Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Aloe Darling........before the beginning..

Hi!

I'm Bernie, 45 years old (how the f**k did that happen!), married to Seamus, mother of James and Erin. Proud member of the Mc Dermott and Gallagher families....the most crazy, eccentric, colourful, caring, kind loving, partying bunch of people in the Universe!

Anyhow, blogging is something I thought I'd do a lot of as I do have an interest in writing; I've dabbled in a bit of poetry and short stories / essays, some of which I may share on here when I'm feeling braver.

Last September I embarked on a new adventure when I became a distributor for Forever Living Products, but let me go back a little  bit....

For the last six years or so Ireland has been in recession, and this has in some way touched the lives of almost every individual in the country, my husband and I are lucky in that we have been able to keep up mortgage payments, but Seamus was made redundant in 2008 from a well paying job, leaving us with just my wages and a small income from the farm to keep us going. This meant some big lifestyle changes for us; fewer holidays, no more dining out or nights out etc. However we are the types to just "get on with it" and to be honest there are many many families who are a lot worse off; losing their homes and having to emigrate etc. That must be truly soul destroying. Seamus sent out 100s of cvs, went for recruitment and interview skills training to no avail. Then he completed a security course and secured himself seasonal work at our local airport, and I'm very proud to be married to a man who never ever stops trying to make things better for his family. So whilst we are financially secure at the moment...things are by no means as good as they were in 2003 when we got married.

Last August we had some amazing weather, and I was enjoying a few days off with the children, visiting local beaches etc. There was so much they wanted to do and so much on, and as you know these days out all cost money...I was paid on Friday, and by Saturday night after paying bills, doing the grocery shop, and a few treats for the kids, I was almost broke again, and my 2 offspring had plans for Sunday and Monday! I went to bed Saturday night despairing, but also very determined.....I had to do something to get an extra income into our house so that I wouldn't always be saying NO to my 2 children when they wanted, or needed something. I made a vow to find a way to make things better.

It's amazing how powerful our minds can be...the very next day at a country fair, as I was buying a hot dog from a burger van, I spotted a little sign saying "would you like to earn an extra income from your home?" I said to the lady behind the counter "I would be very interested in earning an extra income". She very casually replied "Ok, write down your number, I'll call you during the week." Well I thought that call would never come, but thankfully it did......

In the interest of keeping these blogs short and hopefully sweet, read the next one to find out what happened next....

No comments:

Post a Comment